Category Archives: community

Irregular’s Intel – Representation Counts

We live in a time where every notion or concept has a hashtag. It can get to the point where it becomes overwhelming, or tedious even. That’s not to say that they don’t have meaning, but to address all of them would take a full 140 characters by itself! But I digress. Yesterday, my brother posted something on his FB that caught my eye – an African American male cosplaying as Batman. Now this, in and of itself, was not new to me. But to read his story I was reminded of how black kids could not be Batman, Superman, Captain America or Doctor Strange because we didn’t look like them. We could be Spider-Man, Iron Man or anyone black because either you couldn’t see who was under the mask or armor or they looked like us. Being kids we didn’t know better, but it did kinda suck, to be honest about it all.  Continue reading Irregular’s Intel – Representation Counts

Miss Dawn’s Musings – Sharing What’s Good

This past weekend, my book group (Rubber City Book Posse or RCBP) once again took part in the Akron Family Reading Festival. This was the tenth year for the festival and we have been there for eight or nine of them. We’re a local branch of the global Bookcrossing movement, whose members leave books in random places for people to pick up, swap books with each other and, like us, take part in local events to pass books along to whoever wants them. And this year we managed to release close to 2,000 books!  Continue reading Miss Dawn’s Musings – Sharing What’s Good

Miss Dawn’s Musings – To the Year Ahead

We all know that 2016 sucked for a number of reasons – politics and the divisive climate created by the presidential election to end all others, terrorist acts and war around the world, and a greater than average number of celebrity deaths, including some big ones for the geek realm. So most people were really looking forward to a new year and a new start. But let’s be realistic – considering the state of affairs, it’s unlikely that what made last year bad will improve at all this year.  Continue reading Miss Dawn’s Musings – To the Year Ahead

Miss Dawn’s Musings – Kickin’ It Old School

Blog-MDMI recently went to an old school comic con. If you’re lucky, you know what I’m talking about – a bunch of dealers crammed into a hall, maybe a couple of artists selling original sketches, but no celebrities or photo ops in sight. Sure, a few people showed up in costume (I think there was an actual costume contest at some point, though I didn’t stay for it), but it was primarily a crowd of comic book lovers looking for deals. I would say about 80% of the space was long boxes and most of what was on offer was golden, silver and bronze age issues with some current releases thrown in (especially ones with variant covers). Continue reading Miss Dawn’s Musings – Kickin’ It Old School